Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Priscillas ****UPDATE****

Amanda Elizabeth Bennett Harlan Campbell is my 3rd great grandmother.

Amanda was born 10 May 1869 in Alabama to John Bennett and Eliza Whitmore.

Amanda was first married to James Franklin Brannock. Amanda and James had three children:

Milton W. Brannock                     9/6/1862 - 11/22/1922

Franklin Alexander Brannock      5/21/1869 - 3/18/1961

Jason "Jasa" W. Brannock            7/6/1872 - 1/10/1903

I know that she married David Bonham Harlan 26 Nov 1882, however, the 1900 census shows Amanda as divorced. She is later referred to as Mrs. Amanda Campbell, but I have been unable to locate a marriage record to a Mr. Campbell.

Recently my mom gave me an old scrapbook that had belonged to her great grandfather, Frank A. Brannock, son of Amanda. In this book, I found a small newspaper tucked inside. A photo caught my attention. It was a group of women wearing white bonnets. As I read the caption, I realized that I was seeing the first photograph of Amanda!

The article is titled, "Are they the Priscillas?"This article was published in the Bloomfield Vindicator out of Bloomfield, Missouri. Bill Harty is the person who identified some of the women in this photo. Mrs. Campbell would be our Amanda Elizabeth Benentt Brannock Harlan Campbell. Mr. Harty also identifies his mother, Mrs. Harty. She would be Susan C. Moore Harty, my other 3rd great grandmother!

I would appreciate any information on this women's group "The Priscillas" for I have come up empty handed.

Article from The Bloomfield Vindicator dated October 12, 1961


Close up of Amanda Bennett Brannock Harlan Campbell


Susan C Moore Harty

****Never give up hope! This entry was originally published on 22 May, 2013.****

Today I located the original publication date complete with identification of those photographed.
22 December 1901 St Louis Republic


No comments:

Post a Comment