Saturday, July 20, 2013

Marcie and Mary. Best friends become sisters-in-law.


Mary Elizabeth Brannock is my maternal grandmother. Marcella Hedwig Filla is my Great Aunt. They were the best of friends and became sisters-in-law when Mary married Marcie's younger brother, Walter Joseph Filla. These were two exceptional women that each made a massive impact on my life.

Left to Right: Mary Elizabeth Brannock and Marcella Hedwig Filla

Left to Right: Marcie and Mary

Left to right: Julia Brannock, Mary and Marcie

Marcie in front, Mary behind.
Marcie and Mary in the rumble seat.

That fella there in the middle is why I am here. Left to right: Mary, Walter Joseph Filla, Marcie
Left to right: Mary and Marcie



Mary Elizabeth Brannock was born to John Ashley Brannock and Lillian Bernice (Hanf) Brannock  on 17 May 1922 in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

Marcella Hedwig Filla was born to John Florian Filla and Frances Brueggemann (Filla) on 22 April 1919 in Washington, Missouri.

I do not have any photos of them together as adults, but they stayed so close until my Grandma passed away. Aunt Marcie to me was a surrogate Grandmother, she continued to keep alive the spirit of my Grandma and Grandpa, and for that I am thankful.

Mary and Walter   




Marcie and Kenny


 



2 comments:

  1. I can see why you think so much of your grandmother and her friend Marcie. They made a good pair didn't they? Nice looking family, and a lot of neat old cars too! The shot of the girls in front of the "Little House" behind the big house is filled with all kinds of history. First comes the documentation of friendship; then documentation of the "Little House" behind the big house, and then the documentation of stacked corn resting under the power lines.
    Beautiful picture of a way of life gone but not forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Paul. I really enjoy how you analyze a photo too.

    ReplyDelete