Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Edna Louise Parham Class of 1943

Edna Louise Parham was my paternal Grandmother. She was born 3 May 1924 to Charles Parham and Emma (West) Parham in Moultrie, Georgia. My father gave me Edna's high school diploma a few weeks ago but I was unfamiliar with the school she attended. I searched online and was pleased to find her yearbook was available to view.  It was nice to learn which Grade and Junior High School my "Granny" attended and I was interested to learn that she had aspirations of being a writer. It makes me wonder if she looked up to her cousin, Margaret Louise (Parham) Branyon Martin , a published author using the pen name: Margie Branyon Coombes. Margie's book, "Smoke Rings", a collection of poetry, was published in 1947. Thanks to my cousin, Mel Ferrer, I have a copy of this book signed by Margie and given to her "Aunt Emma and Uncle Charlie".







Courtesy of memphistechhigh.com/rosters






Topping the charts in 1943:

 "There Are Such Things" by Tommy Dorsey







 "I Had The Craziest Dream" by Harry James

2 comments:

  1. Funny...Tech High is my Alma Mater too. And I swear it was just a few months ago when I was toying with the idea of writing something about Smoke Rings. Spooky, huh? I never knew this about Miss Edna. I also love the tune, "There Are Such Things." I hear it at least once a week on my clock radio that is set to Jones College Radio. Check it out online. It's a classic! http://flashplayer.jones.edu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that this is where you went to school, Aunt Margo! There are a lot of coincidences here, huh? Birds of a feather. I will listen to your song suggestion today. Thank you for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete