Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Samuel Malcolm "Mickey" Brannock: A Letter From Guadalcanal 1944

Samuel Malcolm "Mickey" Brannock, 14 Oct 1914 - 1 Mar 2010,  was the son of Frank A. and Betty (Harty) Brannock. Born and raised in Bloomfield, Missouri, Mickey was a star of the basketball team at Bloomfield High School. My Great Aunt Bebe even related this to me when I "interviewed" her on our family history back in 1994. My grandmother, Mary Elizabeth (Brannock) Filla was very found of her Uncle Mickey and loved to share stories about him remembers my Aunt Betty Rae (Filla) Lundy.

Mickey Brannock was a veteran of WWII, serving in the South Pacific and attained the rank of Sargeant. He was a disabled American veteran, member of the American Legion 44, and VFW 1114.

I found a few pieces related to Mickey in my beloved scrapbook and wanted to share them.

This is the first that I located, a sweet artist rendering of Mickey as a baby:


 Bloomfield High School basketball team including newspaper blurb of Mickey's high points scored!


I also located a letter that was published in the Bloomfield Vindicator written by Mickey thanking the anonymous person that had mailed him a copy of his hometown newspaper.


Courtesy of marshallfoundation.org



Courtesy of usmilitariaforum.com 

Quartermaster Insignia stamped on each flour bag. Photo courtesy of qmmuseum.lee.army.mil 

No comments:

Post a Comment